- nearly 1 billion people don't have access to safe drinking water;
- a child dies every 15 seconds from a lack of clean water’
- 115 people die every hour from diseases linked to poor sanitation, poor hygiene, and contaminated water;
- 1 in 5 children who die before age 5 worldwide, die of a water-related disease;
- children often walk miles every day to collect dirty water to drink; and, water-related illnesses kills more people each year than wars and conflict.
Did you know that when clean water supplies are provided in these areas, everything changes:
- girls return to school;
- women begin small businesses;
- men are no longer too sick to work;
- fields are watered and the food supply becomes more reliable;
- health returns and children grow up to be productive members of their community; and,
- the cycle of poverty is broken.